Monday 18 August 2014

[READ & SHARE] Ebola: Nano Silver fails health requirements— Health Minister Via @iKanzee_RR

The Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi
Chukwu, on Monday said that the Federal
government was withholding its approval for
the Anti-Ebola drug Nano-Silver produced by
a Nigerian scientist in the diaspora.
Chukwu made this known when he received
the U.S Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr James
Entwistle, in his office in Abuja.
He said that the Nano Silver drug, which was
made available to the Emergency Operations
Centre in Lagos on Aug. 14, did not meet
basic research requirements.
“The experimental drug, Nano Silver did not
meet the requirements of the National Health
Research Ethics Code.
“Accordingly, the approval was withheld by
the National Health Research Ethics
Committee,” Chukwu said.
He said the ambassador’s visit was an
opportunity to share ideas and information on
Ebola virus.
“He is the spokesperson for the United States’
government here in Nigeria, and so he came to
me as the Chief Public Health Officer of the
country to exchange views with me,’’ he said.
The minister said Entwistle also visited to
know if there was any new development that
recently cropped up on the Ebola virus.
Entwistle had commended the efforts of the
Federal Government in curbing the spread of
the Ebola virus in the country.
He said the aim of the visit was to discuss
further on the anti-Ebola cooperation between
the U.S government and the Nigerian
government.
The ambassador also praised the work done
at the emergency operation centre and the
isolation centre, saying he understood that
they were working hard.
“You have all seen the headlines over the
weekend, this is an issue that we have to keep
working hard on, it may be with us for a while
but there are some encouraging signs.
“Your government is doing a good job on
contact tracing; I noticed when I flew back
here on Thursday night into the country,
before I left the plane I filed in the
questionnaire.
“I was very impressed because I had to put in
my seat number which is a very good idea, so
that if you have to trace the guy who was
seating next to me you will know where I am.
“I have been very impressed by this thing so I
encourage the government of Nigeria to keep
at it, which I know they will,’’ he said.
Entwistle said the two countries had a broad
partnership to keep collaborating, cooperating
and working hard to make the world a better
place.
He said he could not think of a more
important example of cooperation than the
Ebola cooperation.
On the U.S experimental drug on Ebola,
Entwistle said there were no sufficient quantity
for now to be given to Nigeria, therefore, the
focus should be on isolation, screening and
prevention.

No comments: